Secretary of State John Kerry says he hopes the Syrian government's chemical weapons will be rapidly consolidated into one location, put on a ship and removed from the region.
Kerry told National Public Radio he will meet with the Syrian opposition Tuesday in London. He says the sites of Syrian President Bashar Assad's chemical weapons have been declared and are being secured.
In London, Kerry will try to set up a conference in Geneva to find a political resolution to the bloody civil war in Syria.
The main alliance of political opposition groups has said it will only negotiate if it is agreed from the start that Assad will leave power at the end of a transition period.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Kerry wants chemical arms shipped out of Syria
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients