Oct. 17--TUPELO -- It's not Halloween without a good horror movie.
Tupelo filmmaker Glenn Payne knows this, and this weekend he's hosting the Tupelo Halloween Horror Film Fest at the Link Centre.
He'll screen short films that are horror movies or have some connection to Halloween at the festival.
"It's sort of across the board genre-wise," Payne said. "They may be funny or scary. They all have a connection to Halloween."
Payne will screen two of his latest movies at the festival.
"Last Fall," starring Kenny Cook, is about a man whose time is short and he wants to make the most of it.
His fellow West of Shake Rag comedian Casey Dillard takes a serious turn in "A Mutual Friend," which Payne describes as a "dark, suspenseful drama."
Payne hosted a horror movie festival a few years ago and revived the idea to celebrate local and area filmmakers.
It also gave filmmakers a chance to network with other filmmakers, writers and actors.
"Alliances were formed at the last one," Payne said. "I wanted to welcome new blood in the film community. I'm really excited about all of the new filmmakers together and give people an opportunity to find people to work with."
The filmmakers will participate in a Q&A at the festival, and for the first time, awards will be given out, including an audience favorite.
While none of the films are rated, so far everything has been PG-13 or less, he said.
(c)2013 the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo, Miss.)
Visit the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo, Miss.) at www.nems360.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns