Kihumba is receiving the EWF-INI Fellowship, an educational award providing full tuition and a mentor to support her studies in the university's Pittsburgh-Silicon Valley Master of Science in Information Technology-Mobility program through the INI.
"I would like to conduct research on mobile learning and intelligent tutoring systems for mobile devices. My interest is in educational technology and e-learning, and I hope to work in research center that has this focus," said Kihumba of
Kihumba wants to be part of the digital revolution in Sub-Saharan Africa, home to 650 million mobile phone subscribers, 50 million Facebook users and an increasing number of technology hubs.
"The EWF-INI Fellowship is like rocket fuel for the careers of these young women, who would otherwise face some major barriers -- hurdles related to their culture or their geographic location, gender biases and financial hardships, even self-doubt, to name a few. Grace shows exceptional potential, offering both talent and a passion for a future career in technology leadership," said
The INI and EWF have offered the scholarship since 2007 to support a student from a historically underrepresented population.
The EWF (www.ewf-usa.com) is a prominent community of more than 750 of the nation's most influential female executives within the information security, privacy and risk management industries. The EWF community is a home base for women to grow their professional skills, build important networks and gather industry business intelligence. Dialog that begins at the national conference continues throughout the year during regional meetings, meet and greet events, peer mentoring, outreach, scholarship programs and thriving individual networks.
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief