Republicans said Wednesday there's no sign U.S. House Speaker John Boehner has been damaged in the GOP caucus by the budget fight and government shutdown.
With both chambers of Congress getting set to vote on a Senate-led compromise, House Republicans apparently have lost the fight to use the 16-day shutdown and a threat not to raise the debt limit as leverage to repeal the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare.
Republicans at the monthly Conversations With Conservatives event Wednesday said no one will try to topple Boehner, R-Ohio, Roll Call reported.
"I've actually been really proud of Speaker Boehner the last two and a half weeks," Rep. Raśl R. Labrador of Idaho told the newspaper. "I don't think he should be ashamed of anything that he has done."
He added he was more upset at Republican colleagues than he is with Boehner.
"It's been Republicans here who apparently always want to fight," he said, "but they want to fight the next fight that has given Speaker Boehner the inability to be successful in this fight. So if anybody should be kicked out, it probably should be Republicans, and not Speaker Boehner."
The former Republican Study Committee chairman, Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio, said there was no talk of mutiny.
"Absolutely no talk of anything along those lines. No talk," Jordan said.
Rep. Matt Salmon of Arizona, who earlier said he came to Washington to fight Obamacare after a 23-year hiatus, told Roll Call Boehner has done a "phenomenal job" coping with "disparate feelings and emotions and ideas and opinions over the last couple of weeks."
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Republicans say no mutiny facing Boehner
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder