Nirvana, Chic, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, Kiss and LL Cool J are nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Also shortlisted for the honor are The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Meters, N.W.A., The Replacements, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, Link Wray, Yes and The Zombies.
The Hall of Fame will pare down the list in the coming weeks, then announce the names of the 2014 inductees. The inductees are chosen through a secret ballot by more than 600 individual voters consisting of past inductees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, musicians, historians, critics and members of the music industry.
To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. The 2014 nominees had to release their first recording no later than 1988.
The 29th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is to be held in April 2014 in New York. The venue and public ticket sale information will be announced at a later date, organizers said Wednesday. The ceremony will be televised on HBO in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West