Nirvana, Chic, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, Kiss and LL Cool J are nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Also shortlisted for the honor are The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Meters, N.W.A., The Replacements, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, Link Wray, Yes and The Zombies.
The Hall of Fame will pare down the list in the coming weeks, then announce the names of the 2014 inductees. The inductees are chosen through a secret ballot by more than 600 individual voters consisting of past inductees of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, musicians, historians, critics and members of the music industry.
To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first single or album at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination. The 2014 nominees had to release their first recording no later than 1988.
The 29th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is to be held in April 2014 in New York. The venue and public ticket sale information will be announced at a later date, organizers said Wednesday. The ceremony will be televised on HBO in May.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Scripps Shares Rise on Reported Bid Talks
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Health Care Signups Picked up Pace in November