-- Double-digit growth in
New analysis from
For more information, please e-mail
The substantial number of mass spectrometers that entered the market over the past two years illustrates both the fast pace of technological advancements, particularly in triple quadrupole LC/MS and Q-TOF, and the strong demand for these platforms. Several product launches with substantial improvements in sensitivity, resolution, speed and throughput are spurring high-end customers to upgrade instruments more often to avoid obsolete platforms.
"Strong research and development efforts by equipment manufacturers - a testament to the large market opportunity - have enabled improved qualitative and quantitative capabilities, giving rise to new applications," saidFrost & Sullivan Life Sciences Senior Industry Analyst
Despite the push to further enlarge the customer base by widening the instrument pricing range, mass spectrometers remain expensive and therefore, cost-prohibitive for many laboratories. In the U.S., sequestration measures and lack of funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act grant compel MS suppliers to rely heavily on the more stable pharmaceutical, biotechnology, applied and industrial sectors, as well as emerging geographical regions for growth. However, the U.S. market offers the most potential for early clinical acceptance.
Suppliers continue to find pockets of growth by integrating multiple technologies, developing clinically-focused instruments, and diminishing performance trade-offs. In addition, competitors are looking to adopt the general life science trend of miniaturization to bring the technology to lower-budget laboratories.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief