Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Silver nanoparticles were examined by Fourier-transform infrared, scanning electron microscopic images (SEM), and ultraviolet-visible spectrophotometer. The particle size was determined by X-ray diffraction, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and dynamic light scattering. The antibacterial effect was studied by disk diffusion method against some bacterial pathogenic strains. Silver nanoparticles showed promising activity against Pseudomonas aeruginosa and slightly active against Escherichia coli, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, and Klebsiella pneumonia. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles was tested against P. aeruginosa. The killing rate of P. aeruginosa was found to be 90 % of viability at (100 mu l/ml) of silver nanoparticles. Exposure of P. aeruginosa cells to silver nanoparticles caused fast loss of 260 nm absorbing materials and release of potassium ions."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "The TEM and SEM observation showed that silver nanoparticles may destroy the structure of bacterial cell membrane in order to enter the bacterial cell resulting in the leakage of the cytoplasmic component and the eventual death."
For more information on this research see: Bactericidal Effect of Poly(Acrylamide/Itaconic Acid)-Silver Nanoparticles Synthesized by Gamma Irradiation Against Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2013;171(2):469-487. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology can be contacted at:
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record of -135.8
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Uruguay Gets Ready for Legal Marijuana
- Oldaker Takes Center Stage at Entrepreneur Awards
- Obama Delivers Speech at Mandela Memorial: Transcript
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim