Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Nevertheless, replicated VMs have to be carefully placed within the data center to provide high availability and good performance. This requires resolving potentially conflicting application and data center requirements, while scaling up to the size of modern data centers. We present BtrPlace, a flexible consolidation manager that is customized through configuration scripts written by the application and data center administrators. BtrPlace relies on constraint programming and an extensible library of placement constraints. The present library of 14 constraints subsumes and extends the capabilities of existing commercial consolidation managers. Scalability is achieved by splitting the data center into partitions and computing placements in parallel. Overall, BtrPlace repairs a nonviable placement after a major load increase or a maintenance operation for a 5,000 server data center hosting 30,000 VMs and involving thousands of constraints in 3 minutes."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Using partitions of 2,500 servers, placement computing is reduced to under 30 seconds."
For more information on this research see: BtrPlace: A Flexible Consolidation Manager for Highly Available Applications. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2013;10(5):273-286. IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing can be contacted at: Ieee Computer Soc,
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from F. Hermenier, Inria LIP6 Regal, F-75005
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Phil Pustejovsky's Relief Real Estate Offers Seminars in Daytona Beach
- Rubio Offers Endorsements, Cash to 2014 GOP Candidates
- Legal Dope in Uruguay Breaks International Law, Says Buzzkill U.N.
- GM Plant Tackles Tough Waste Challenge
- Sonoma Growers Win Emerald Cup Cannabis Competition
- Cantor Fitzgerald Settles Suit
- Pope Removes U.S. Archbishop from Powerful Post
- Researchers Question Effectiveness of Vitamins
- Vets Vow to Fight for Benefits in Budget Battle