4G is particularly geared to the provision of high-speed mobile data services, enabling customers to access broadband services over mobile at comparable speeds to those experienced over the fixed network.
Both MT and Sure submitted applications confirming that they will launch 4G services no later than
The Commission has also confirmed that MT and Sure will each pay a 150,000 application fee for the process.
MT and Sure have both agreed to have their existing service licences modified by the Commission to incorporate 4G service obligations. Both operators will be given spectrum assignments in the 800MHz and 1800MHz bands, as well as an entitlement to spectrum in the 2.6GHz band as and when future needs arise.
Chairman of the Commission, Hon. Juan Watterson MHK said:
"The Commission is delighted to confirm its intention to licence MT and Sure to provide 4G mobile services on the Island. The successful conclusion of the licensing process means that mobile customers will be able to access this new exciting mobile service no later than next summer. We hope that this will have a positive benefit for business and customers, as data is increasingly key to staying in touch with friends and clients. The early launch of 4G by MT and Sure will build on the Island's strong reputation for timely deployment of advanced mobile services."
Communications Commission Address: 2nd Floor St Andrew's House Finch Road Douglas Post Code: IM1 2PX Country: Isle of Man Telephone: 01624 677022
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws