The SLS will be the largest American rocket ever built and will measure 200 feet taller than the entire space shuttle rocket assembly. The SLS will measure 384 feet in total length, with a weight of 6.5 million pounds. The construction of an assembly of this magnitude requires entirely new ways to fabricate, assemble, and weld the main fuel tank structures.
Engineers and experts from ESAB have worked with
The VAC is being designed, engineered, and built at the ESAB facility in Laxa,
ESAB’s level of friction stir technology expertise and strong operational and project management procedures were key factors in this selection.
Friction stir welding has the potential to change the way many common structures are built from passenger trains and airplanes to trucks, cars and electronics. The low heat input and high strength of automated friction stir welds provide opportunities for manufacturers to redesign their structures for lighter weight, lower cost and higher performance.
The SLS project is widely viewed as America’s next-generation space program, with the goal of producing a rocket to transport people beyond Earth’s orbit. Slated for launch in 2017, this expandable rocket has tremendous capabilities for transporting payload during deep space explorations.
“We are honored to be part of this historical project with the Boeing Space Launch System (SLS) team and NASA,” said
ESAB Welding & Cutting Products is a recognized leader in the welding industry. From time-honored processes to revolutionary technologies, ESAB’s filler metals, welding and cutting equipment, and accessories bring solutions to customers around the globe. For more information, visit http://www.esabna.com.
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11098731.htm
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record of -135.8
- Obama Delivers Speech at Mandela Memorial: Transcript
- Uruguay Gets Ready for Legal Marijuana
- Oldaker Takes Center Stage at Entrepreneur Awards
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?