Mandela film to be screened in France
JOHANNESBURG, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- A movie about South Africa's anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela will be released in France next month, its producer announced on Monday.
The announcement came just as French President Francois Hollande started his two-day state visit to South Africa.
Welcoming his counterpart's visit at the administrative capital of Pretoria, South Africa's President Jacob Zuma said, "Cooperation between the two countries cuts across a broad spectrum of areas, including such areas as arts and culture."
The film's producer Anant Singh said, "The movie Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom would be released across France on December 18."
"France would be the first European country to release the film, with an expectation of more than 350 screens," said the South African pre-eminent film producer.
The film was produced on the basis of the autobiographic book "Long Walk to Freedom."
In the film, British actor Idris Elba played Mandela, while British actress Naomi Harris performed Mandela`s former wife Winnie Madikizela-Mandela as the first lady of South Africa.
Premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 10, the film received an unprecedented standing ovation.
"It will appeal to the French public as Mandela is one of the most loved international statesmen in France," said Pathe.
Mandela served 27 years in prison for the national liberation movement. He became the first democratically-elected president in 1994 as the apartheid ended, having an honor of the state father in South Africa.
The 95-year-old former president is still fighting his recurring lung infection at his home in Johannesburg after being discharged from hospital in Pretoria on Sept. 1.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response