Oct. 15--Scenes for a Disney sports drama titled "McFarland" starring Kevin Costner are currently being filmed in Camarillo.
Crews have spent two days filming scenes at an agricultural field near the Camarillo Premium Outlets on Ventura Boulevard, Camarillo officials said Tuesday. The film is expected to be released in November 2014.
The film tells the true story of a former football coach, played by Costner, who moves his family to rural McFarland, Calif., a predominantly Hispanic community, and builds a cross-country team. The team must overcome physical hurdles to become champions in the 1980s, according to Internet Movie Database, an online database for films.
The movie is directed by Niki Caro. Morgan Saylor, from Showtime's "Homeland" series, plays the role of Costner's teenage daughter Julie. The film also stars Maria Bello as Costner's wife Cheryl.
The drama will be produced by Mayhem Pictures' Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray, both behind "Invincible" and "Secretariat."
(c)2013 Ventura County Star (Camarillo, Calif.)
Visit Ventura County Star (Camarillo, Calif.) at www.vcstar.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy