NEW YORK (AP) — Macy's Inc. says that it will open most of its stores for the first time on Thanksgiving, breaking a long-standing tradition for the venerable retailer.
In a release issued late Monday, the Cincinnati-based chain says it will open its doors at 8 p.m. on that day.
The move comes as the chain faces growing pressure from other stores. Over the past few years, rivals have gotten a jump on the official start of the holiday shopping season by opening their doors increasingly earlier on Thanksgiving.
Macy's, which operates about 800 stores, says it began planning early to let its employees review available shifts throughout the holiday season and volunteer for their preferred shifts, including on Thanksgiving.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter