NEW YORK (AP) — Macy's Inc. says that it will open most of its stores for the first time on Thanksgiving, breaking a long-standing tradition for the venerable retailer.
In a release issued late Monday, the Cincinnati-based chain says it will open its doors at 8 p.m. on that day.
The move comes as the chain faces growing pressure from other stores. Over the past few years, rivals have gotten a jump on the official start of the holiday shopping season by opening their doors increasingly earlier on Thanksgiving.
Macy's, which operates about 800 stores, says it began planning early to let its employees review available shifts throughout the holiday season and volunteer for their preferred shifts, including on Thanksgiving.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs
- U.S. Chamber to Run Ads in Idaho, W.Va.
- U.S. Unemployment Rate Dips to 7 Percent
- Consumer Spending Rises, Incomes Fall
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- American Eagle Issues Weak Q4 Outlook
- Budget Bargain Elusive as Time Runs Out