NEW YORK (AP) — Macy's Inc. says that it will open most of its stores for the first time on Thanksgiving, breaking a long-standing tradition for the venerable retailer.
In a release issued late Monday, the Cincinnati-based chain says it will open its doors at 8 p.m. on that day.
The move comes as the chain faces growing pressure from other stores. Over the past few years, rivals have gotten a jump on the official start of the holiday shopping season by opening their doors increasingly earlier on Thanksgiving.
Macy's, which operates about 800 stores, says it began planning early to let its employees review available shifts throughout the holiday season and volunteer for their preferred shifts, including on Thanksgiving.
Most Popular Stories
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- GM Recall Poses First Major Test for New CEO
- Senators Reach Deal on Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- El Empleo Rebota: La Columna Cohen
- Bob Crow Remembered as Shrewd Champion of Union Workers
- Job Openings Less Than Expected in January
- Swedish Journalist Nils Horner Shot Dead in Kabul
- Deborah Hersman Quits NTSB