In an open letter released Monday afternoon on Twitter, BlackBerry tells its "customers, partners and fans" that they can continue to count on the
The letter alludes to BlackBerry's
But it says BlackBerry has substantial cash on hand, a balance sheet that is debt free, and is restructuring with a goal to cut expenses by 50 per cent.
It also says BlackBerry doesn't underestimate the situation it faces, and is making "difficult changes" _ such as a 40 per cent reduction of its global workforce _ to strengthen the company.
The open letter also touts BlackBerry's security measures and notes its system also works with
"We are bringing the most engaging mobile messaging platform to all, with our BBM launch for Android and iPhone," the letter stated. "There are already around six million customers pre-registered to be notified of our roll out."
And the letter also stressed the company's BlackBerry 10 devices, saying BlackBerry continues "to offer the best mobile typing experience _ no ifs, ands or buts about it."
BlackBerry has struggled this year as sales of its latest smartphones failed to catch fire, and some carriers decided not to sell BlackBerry's new Z30 smartphone.
The Fairfax consortium is expected to complete its due diligence by
According to documents filed with the
Together, Lazaridis and Fregin own roughly an eight per cent stake in BlackBerry, while Fairfax holds about 10 per cent.
Meanwhile, a class-action lawsuit was filed last Thursday at the
In a statement, the
The lawsuit alleges the company and its senior management "knowingly or negligently misrepresented" that the BlackBerry 10 smartphones had been well received by customers and in a "strong financial position," according to a news release.
None of the allegations have been proven in court.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns