2013 Nollywood Movies Awards concludes in Lagos
LAGOS, Oct. 13 (Xinhua) -- The 2013 Nollywood Movies Awards (NMA 2013) concluded at Intercontinental Hotel early on Sunday morning, with Rita Dominic bagging the Best Lead Actress title, and O.C. Ukeje, the Best Lead Actor.
"It always feels so nice to get reward for experiencing people's lives through such a fantastic work of arts," said Dominic standing on the stage holding the trophy.
Dominic won the trophy for her performance in starring "The Meeting." The movie, which got 11 nominations, has finally swept away the Best Lead Actress, the Best Director and the Best Makeup.
Despite the many nominations for Hoodrush for which Ukeje picked up the Best Actor for his role as the lead actor in the movie, "Phone Swap" cleared quite a few awards including Best Movie, Best Original Screenplay and Top Box Office Movie Award.
Nollywood which the Nigerians dub the film industry in the country and is becoming more famous globally in recent years. Starting in 1960s, Nollywood grew quickly in the 1990s and 2000s to become the second largest film industry in the world in number of annual film productions, placing it ahead of the United States and behind only Indian cinema.
Statistics showed that with more than 1,500 films produced every year, Nollywood's annual industrial production has surpassed 500 million U.S. dollars. And the NMA has become one of the largest grand gatherings in movies sector in Africa.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- Broadband Policies Could Mean 11,000 Jobs
- William Morris Endeavor Eats up IMG
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013