Oct. 13--"Shrek the Musical" is among the shows -- also see "A Christmas Story," "Newsies," "Rocky," etc. -- that has helped transform Broadway into the Great Rebooted Movies Way that it is today. This version of the animated hit about a hulking green ogre who falls for a princess debuted in 2008 and ran for more than a year. The original cast was filmed for a DVD and Blu-ray that finally comes out Tuesday. State pride fun fact: Both lead actors hail from Michigan. Brian d'Arcy James, who's from Saginaw, plays Shrek. Sutton Foster, Troy's favorite daughter (and small-screen star of ABC Family's "Bunheads"), is Princess Fiona. So, please, someone get started now on a Detroit revival.
(c)2013 the Detroit Free Press
Visit the Detroit Free Press at www.freep.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer