Oct. 12--They're the hosts, so they don't get to compete Saturday in the Tumwater Marching Band Festival.
Still, members of the Tumwater High School Marching Thunderbirds have spent countless hours rehearsing for their exhibition performance at the event.
"Our show this year is a mixture of classical music and Led Zeppelin," said Tumwater High junior Katee Hertter. "We call it Rockzical. It's a cross between classical music and rock."
Fifteen bands from around the state -- including schools from Silverdale, Marysville and Wenatchee -- have registered to compete at the event.
Participating South Sound schools include Shelton, North Thurston and Black Hills.
"They're actually competing with their marching, the music, their synchronization with each other, timing and percussion," said Mike Landowski, president and chairman of the festival. "They're scored and they're judged for a variety of categories."
In its eighth year, the Tumwater Marching Band Festival serves as a fundraiser, and usually features about 1,100 student-musicians. Past festivals have helped raise $5,000 to $7,000 for the Marching Thunderbirds, Landowski said.
The Marching Thunderbirds perform at home football games, a handful of competitions and band camp. It's a blend of music and visual art that takes teamwork and a big-time commitment.
"I kind of like the sense of family that the whole marching band has," Hertter said. "We're all kind of one big group of friends. I don't really call it marching band. I call it marching family."
Lisa Pemberton: 360-754-5433
(c)2013 The Olympian (Olympia, Wash.)
Visit The Olympian (Olympia, Wash.) at www.theolympian.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Next Iran Nuclear Talks Set for New York
- Easter morning delivery for space station