IDC has published a forecast for the
The market will continue to grow in the next five years, and reach 65.2 million units in 2017. The growth will be driven by smartphones and tablets, which are expected to expand to 37.5 million and 10.1 million units, respectively, in 2017.
According to IDC, the total shipments of domestic mobile devices grew to 12.31 million units in the second quarter of 2013 with a healthy on-year growth rate of 14.7%, while PCs dropped to negative growth on a unit shipment basis.
In terms of smartphone shipments in the second quarter of 2013, the market showed a surge and reached 6.5 million units for a significant increase of 26.8% on year due to strong demand for the iPhone 5. In addition, the tablet market recorded more bright results, growing 92% on year to 1.8 million units in the quarter driven by the sales of low-price tablets and 4G tablets, with both consumer and commercial markets keeping up the stable demand, led by huge sales subsidy by operators.
"Looking forward, in the short term, the smartphone market will surge again because
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Cold Dis-comfort: Antarctica Set Record of -135.8
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Uruguay Gets Ready for Legal Marijuana
- Oldaker Takes Center Stage at Entrepreneur Awards
- Obama Delivers Speech at Mandela Memorial: Transcript
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim