According to IDC's Japan Quarterly Mobile Device Tracker, the total shipment of domestic mobile devices grew to 12.31 million units in the second quarter of 2013 with a healthy year-over-year growth rate of 14.7%, while PCs dropped to negative growth on a unit shipment basis.
In terms of smartphone shipments in 2Q 2013, the market showed a surge and reached 6.5 million units for a significant increase of 26.8% year over year due to strong demand for the iPhone5. In addition, the tablet market recorded more bright results, growing 92.0% year over year to 1.8 million units in the quarter driven by the sales of low-price tablets and 4G tablets, with both consumer and commercial markets keeping up the stable demand, led by huge sales subsidy by operators.
"Looking forward, in the short term, the smartphone market will surge again because
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin or Bad Coin? Warnings Mount Against Virtual Currency
- Cheap Gas Drives Down U.S. Wholesale Prices Again
- Expanding Medicaid Creates Jobs: Study
- Producer Price Index Dropped in November
- Robert Levinson Was on CIA Mission
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Beyonce Releases New Album With No Marketing
- 'Dreamers' Hope for Permanent Immigration Status