In a big boost to the Hawai'i Innovation Initiative (HI2), visualization expert
Leigh is currently a Professor of Computer Science and Director of the
"We have identified big data visualization as a critical area in which we need to grow capacity to support the Hawai'i Innovation Initiative and UH's own research aspirations," said UH Interim President
Leigh's SAGE (Scalable Adaptive Graphics Environment) software is the de facto standard for driving ultra-high resolution display walls around the world, which are fast becoming the lenses through which insight and innovation from big data science and engineering collaborations are brought into focus.
His most recent invention, CAVE2, represents the next generation of the highly successful CAVE immersive virtual reality environment that was also developed at EVL. CAVE2 combines the benefits of both scalable-resolution display walls and virtual-reality systems to create a seamless 2D/3D environment that supports both information-rich analysis as well as virtual-reality simulation exploration at a resolution matching human visual acuity.
The timing of a long-intended career move to Hawai'i became right with the focus of the new innovation initiative. Leigh has already been working with
Leigh said, "I am looking forward to working with my new colleagues in the ICS department and throughout the UH system to apply cyberinfrastructure and visualization technologies to improve research and scholarship in support of human insight and understanding."
"Jason is a world-class innovator with a remarkable ability to collaborate with his colleagues in academia and industry alike," Smarr said. "Jason has been extremely helpful to us in
Leigh is a Fellow of the
TNS 30TagarumaMar-131011-4516190 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Mega Millions Winning Tickets Sold in Atlanta, San Jose
- Delta: No Voice Calls on our Planes
- Phil Pustejovsky's Relief Real Estate Offers Seminars in Daytona Beach
- Housing Starts Soared in November
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- Legal Dope in Uruguay Breaks International Law, Says Buzzkill U.N.
- China Provokes Bitcoin Crash