The Galaxy Round has a curved 5.7-inch (14.5 cm) screen using advanced display technology called organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, technology. The Korean company said such a curved screen smartphone is the first in the world.
Samsung said the curve will make it easier to grip. The high-end gizmo has some features that make use of the display's curve, such as playing the next song in a music playlist by tilting the phone to the left or to the right.
The curved display is an initial step before handset makers develop smartphones with a flexible display that one day might be folded like a map, experts say.
Samsung offered the public a peak at mobile devices with flexible displays during a January gadget show in
The Galaxy Round will be released only in
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- Rand Paul Signs up for Obamacare
- Thalia Gets Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- World Cup Draws: Coaches, Players Offer Insights
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- Trapped Florida Whales Head for Deeper Waters
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs