A SPECIAL anniversary concert to celebrate the life of Brenda Wootton has been commissioned for this year's Lowender Peran Festival on Sunday, October 20.
The celebratory festival of Cornwall's cultural and Celtic heritage will be showcasing a major anniversary concert to honour the remarkable career of Cornish singer and Radio Cornwall presenter Brenda Wootton, who died in 1994.
Described as 'The Voice of Cornwall', Newlyn-born Brenda enjoyed huge success, not only in Cornwall but internationally, playing sell- out concerts in prestigious venues such as the Olympia Music Hall in Paris.
The concert at Lowender Peran has been made possible with funding from Feast and support from Cornwall Music Forum - it will bring together four young, local singer-songwriters; Kezia, Andrew Bate, Emily Howard and Ryan Jones, who will give their own contemporary take on songs Brenda made famous.
The concert finale will be a collaboration between talented local folk singer and musician Richard Trethewey and Camborne Town Band. There is also a full schedule of fantastic performances of music, dance, song and storytelling lined up for this year's Lowender Peran which will be taking place from October 16 to 20 in Perranporth's Ponsmere Hotel.
Perranporth will come alive with colour, costume, music and dance as over 300 performers from Brittany, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, the Isle of Man and Cornwall descend upon the village on the Saturday morning, celebrating Cornwall's connections with the Celtic world.
Back by popular demand is the festival's silent disco on the Saturday evening with resident DJs, The Cornish Oafs, as well as a free beach ceilidh outside the Watering Hole beach bar on the Sunday morning. Tickets: call 01872 55341 or see www.lowenderperan.co.uk
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- Earnings Season Starts Rough for Health Insurers
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text