"American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest and returning judges Jennifer Lopez and Keith Urban were at Detroit's Westin Book Cadillac on Wednesday for a production stop for the show. Also in the house: newbie judge Harry Connick Jr.
The "Idol" cast and crew filmed segments at the hotel for the show's upcoming 13th season. Among the top-secret scenes captured were those thrilling moments when an aspiring star learns that he or she is moving on in the competition.
"It's been a successful trip," said Seacrest, who was back in Detroit just a couple of months after conducting open auditions here July 21. "There's been plenty of excitement and enthusiasm."
The long-running Fox reality series, which pits singers against one another in a months-long TV competition, also held auditions in Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Atlanta, Boston, Omaha and Austin, Texas.
"It's hard to say that this one is so much better than that one," Lopez said about the level of talent she saw in Detroit versus other cities.
Connick, however, was more forthcoming about the D. "A couple of people are straight-away top three," he said.
Unfortunately, no one was talking Wednesday about who exactly might be advancing from Detroit. Representatives from "Idol" said about 8,000 hopefuls auditioned at Ford Field in July and suggested that plenty of them would be moving on. The show's producers, however, are determined to keep that the specifics under wraps to build suspense for the launch of the new "Idol" season in January.
(c)2013 the Detroit Free Press
Visit the Detroit Free Press at www.freep.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: 'American Idol' judges in Detroit filming segments for 13th season
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List