For the second month in a row, global shipments of flat panel TVs fell in July compared to year-ago levels, dampening hopes that the market will achieve any growth in 2013, according to IHS.
The combined shipments worldwide in July of LCD and PDP TVs amounted to 14.88 million units, down 6.3% from
The retreat in July was a repeat of what had happened in June, and the downward trend is unlikely to turn around soon given the ongoing reduction in demand. Companies remain conservative in their outlook for the next few months until the end of the year when shipments are expected to bounce back, in line with the traditional sales bump anticipated during the holiday season.
Overall, however, monthly shipments will continue to be smaller than their comparable months in 2012 until October, a development with ominous undertones, said IHS.
"2012 was the first time that global flat panel TV shipments failed to grow, following a decade of blockbuster expansion and runaway success," said
CCFLs going extinct
TV panels featuring LED backlighting technology now make up 95% of shipments. As a result, the
In turn, the ascendance of LED as the technology of choice has rendered the playing field even, with little differentiation now apparent among panel types. Given the diminution in variety, the TV market has turned into a game of chicken especially on pricing – an unfavorable circumstance for TV makers.
China TV vendors as a group enjoyed the best performance in July, posting a slight growth in shipments for the month and gaining market share as a result. The combined share of six major China TV vendors – Changhong,
Even so, the
Tied at third place were
Rounding out the top-five was another group of companies that had tied – this time a trio, made up of Sharp and Panasonic from
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Broadband Policies Could Mean 11,000 Jobs
- William Morris Endeavor Eats up IMG
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013