Oct. 10--The Academy Awards' documentary short subject category is often one of the trickier Oscar races to predict. On Thursday, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released a shortlist narrowing the field of contenders down to eight films. That should allow office pollsters and prognosticators to get a jump on the race.
Three to five films will be announced as the final nominees along with all the other Oscar nominations on Jan. 16, 2014.
In alphabetical order, with their production companies, the eight films are:
"Facing Fear," Jason Cohen Productions
"Jujitsu-ing Reality," Sobini Films
"Karama Has No Walls," Hot Spot Films
"The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life," Reed Entertainment
"Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall," Prison Terminal
"Recollections," Notrac productions
"SLOMO," Big Young Films and Runaway Films
Malcolm Clarke, director of "The Lady in Number 6," won in the same category in 1989 for "You Don't Have to Die."
The 86th Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, March 2.
Follow Mark Olsen on Twitter: @IndieFocus
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- AC/DC Denies Rumor It's Done Rocking
- U.S. Capacity Utlization Rate Rose More Than Expected in March
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen