Oct. 10--The Academy Awards' documentary short subject category is often one of the trickier Oscar races to predict. On Thursday, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released a shortlist narrowing the field of contenders down to eight films. That should allow office pollsters and prognosticators to get a jump on the race.
Three to five films will be announced as the final nominees along with all the other Oscar nominations on Jan. 16, 2014.
In alphabetical order, with their production companies, the eight films are:
"Facing Fear," Jason Cohen Productions
"Jujitsu-ing Reality," Sobini Films
"Karama Has No Walls," Hot Spot Films
"The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life," Reed Entertainment
"Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall," Prison Terminal
"Recollections," Notrac productions
"SLOMO," Big Young Films and Runaway Films
Malcolm Clarke, director of "The Lady in Number 6," won in the same category in 1989 for "You Don't Have to Die."
The 86th Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, March 2.
Follow Mark Olsen on Twitter: @IndieFocus
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits