Bridget Jones fans were shocked to learn Sunday that author Helen Fielding killed off Mr. Darcy in the third offering of the series, The Guardian reported.
Fans of the chick-lit series took to Twitter in shock after excerpts from the forthcoming book, "Mad About the Boy," revealed that despite marrying Mr. Darcy, Jones has now found herself a widow with two children five years later.
"Mark Darcy is dead. Bridget Jones is a widow!! This is all too much for a lazy Sunday morning," wrote Twitter user Holly Adderley.
"I really hope this isn't true," another wrote.
The third volume of the Bridge Jones' Diary series focuses on Jones, who is now 51 and obsessing over her 29-year-old lover.
"Has it really been five years? Oh Mark, Mark. What am I doing? Why did I start all this? Why didn't I just stay as I was? Sad, lonely, workless, sexless but at least a mother, a widow, and faithful to their father," Jones says in the excerpt.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: Mr. Darcy killed off in third Bridget Jones book
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits