OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/09/13 -- The Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today released the following statement regarding TransCanada Corporation's announcement it has been selected by Progress Energy Canada Ltd. to design, build, own and operate the proposed $5 billion Prince Rupert Gas Transmission Project. Our government welcomes proposals for resource projects - subject to proper regulatory review - that increase jobs and prosperity across Canada.
"Today's announcement demonstrates the benefits of British Columbia energy pipeline projects that create jobs and economic growth," said Minister Oliver. "Our government is keeping taxes low and helping open new markets for Canadian natural resources. These projects provide critical revenue to governments that support essential social programs."
Resource industries support 100,000 direct jobs in British Columbia. They also make up 13 percent of its economy, and account for 80 percent of British Columbia's export of goods. Resource projects across Canada create thousands of jobs and generate billions in royalties and tax revenue to government to fund hospitals, schools and other critical social services.
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Media may contact:
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Most Popular Stories
- Atlanta Biology Lesson Compares Evolution With Satan
- Sales Show Samsung Needs Next Big Thing
- FOMC Minutes From June 17 Meeting: Full Text
- 7-Eleven Marks Appy Birthday with Freebies
- Ford Wrings Mileage out of Three-Cylinder Fiesta
- Ford Recalling 100,000 Vehicles for Safety Issues
- Judge Strikes Down Colo. Gay Marriage Ban
- Boehner Says No to Palin's Call for Impeachment
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Hispanic Social Media Awards Announced