Beginning this week, Mighty Wings, will be available at nearly 500 Chicago
area McDonald's locations, the Oak Brook-based burger giant confirmed Monday.
The wings are sold in three, five and 10-piece portions with ranch or buffalo
sauce, starting at $2.99.
According to an AP report, the wings are a limited-time offer, like the chain's Chicken McBites promotion in 2012. McDonald's had tested wings in Atlanta, but doesn't plan to test them in other cities, the company said.
The introduction comes as McDonald's is looking for new product news. Wall Street analysts have bemoaned the lack of successful new products since a drop in October same store sales -- the chain's first decline in more than nine years. McDonald's replaced the head of its U.S. business in November, and CEO Don Thompson has vowed to redouble its emphasis on value.
Though same-store sales improved in November, the chain's business is expected to remain soft throughout the winter.
McDonald's difficulties have been concurrent with improving sales by competitors including Burger King and Wendy's, which have lagged the Golden Arches for years. Both smaller chains have gained after the launch of products on Mickey D's menu, such as smoothies.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women