Beginning this week, Mighty Wings, will be available at nearly 500 Chicago
area McDonald's locations, the Oak Brook-based burger giant confirmed Monday.
The wings are sold in three, five and 10-piece portions with ranch or buffalo
sauce, starting at $2.99.
According to an AP report, the wings are a limited-time offer, like the chain's Chicken McBites promotion in 2012. McDonald's had tested wings in Atlanta, but doesn't plan to test them in other cities, the company said.
The introduction comes as McDonald's is looking for new product news. Wall Street analysts have bemoaned the lack of successful new products since a drop in October same store sales -- the chain's first decline in more than nine years. McDonald's replaced the head of its U.S. business in November, and CEO Don Thompson has vowed to redouble its emphasis on value.
Though same-store sales improved in November, the chain's business is expected to remain soft throughout the winter.
McDonald's difficulties have been concurrent with improving sales by competitors including Burger King and Wendy's, which have lagged the Golden Arches for years. Both smaller chains have gained after the launch of products on Mickey D's menu, such as smoothies.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- AC/DC Denies Rumor It's Done Rocking
- U.S. Capacity Utlization Rate Rose More Than Expected in March
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen