LONDON -- (Marketwire) -- 01/08/13 -- Finspreads -- The FTSE 100 was subdued at 6062.9 points this morning (January 8th), as the markets opened on news online shopping managed to save the retail sector's sales from dropping in December. The FTSE posted its first loss of the year in yesterday's session, but it is still at a two-year high. Whitbread was among the FTSE's worst performers in early trading today, down 2%, followed by miners Rio and BHP.
According to the British Retail Consortium (BRC), purchases last month rose by 1.5 per cent compared to the previous year, while like-for-like sales excluding new store openings climbed by 0.3 per cent.
But without a 17.8 per cent advance in non-food sales via the internet, total sales would have fallen. The BRC also noted that the narrow gap between total sales and like-for-like sales was indicative of the small number of new store openings over the course of last year and suggested companies that do not offer a web service could struggle to keep their heads above water.
"For the more established retailers, it seems that much of the growth is now coming from online orders, while shop sales are stagnant at best," stated new BRC director-general Helen Dickinson.
Finspreads pioneered browser-based spread betting in the UK in 1999 by being the first provider in the industry to offer real time spread betting access via a browser. Finspreads have since grown to become one of the biggest online spread betting firms in the UK.
Finspreads support you by offering a range of online spread betting tools and resources as well as an iPhone App that enables full account access from virtually anywhere. Spread betting is the act of speculating on the future price movement of a financial market, be it a share like Marks and Spencer, a stock index like the FTSE 100 or a forex pair like GBP/USD.
At Finspreads, we have one distinct goal which is to help you to maximise your trading potential and get the most out of the markets. We do this through dedicated support, training and education from the moment you open an account, to when you place your first trade -- and throughout your spread betting experience with us.
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column