Witnesses said they have been spotting large squid off Dana Point in California for the first time since 2011.
The Los Angeles Times said most of the Humboldt squid weigh between 3 and 5 pounds, but some fishermen have been known to catch squid weighing as much as 25 pound in the past.
People first spotted the dark blobs on the surface of the water a few days ago, the reported.
The general manager of Dana Wharf Sportfishing, Donna Kalez, said the last run of squid was in September 2011.
The Times said most of the squid have been found 3 to 4 miles from Dana Point Harbor and 2 miles off the beach.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women