Witnesses said they have been spotting large squid off Dana Point in California for the first time since 2011.
The Los Angeles Times said most of the Humboldt squid weigh between 3 and 5 pounds, but some fishermen have been known to catch squid weighing as much as 25 pound in the past.
People first spotted the dark blobs on the surface of the water a few days ago, the reported.
The general manager of Dana Wharf Sportfishing, Donna Kalez, said the last run of squid was in September 2011.
The Times said most of the squid have been found 3 to 4 miles from Dana Point Harbor and 2 miles off the beach.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs