Witnesses said they have been spotting large squid off Dana Point in California for the first time since 2011.
The Los Angeles Times said most of the Humboldt squid weigh between 3 and 5 pounds, but some fishermen have been known to catch squid weighing as much as 25 pound in the past.
People first spotted the dark blobs on the surface of the water a few days ago, the reported.
The general manager of Dana Wharf Sportfishing, Donna Kalez, said the last run of squid was in September 2011.
The Times said most of the squid have been found 3 to 4 miles from Dana Point Harbor and 2 miles off the beach.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers