Witnesses said they have been spotting large squid off Dana Point in California for the first time since 2011.
The Los Angeles Times said most of the Humboldt squid weigh between 3 and 5 pounds, but some fishermen have been known to catch squid weighing as much as 25 pound in the past.
People first spotted the dark blobs on the surface of the water a few days ago, the reported.
The general manager of Dana Wharf Sportfishing, Donna Kalez, said the last run of squid was in September 2011.
The Times said most of the squid have been found 3 to 4 miles from Dana Point Harbor and 2 miles off the beach.
Most Popular Stories
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend