U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's staff reminded her Monday that Washington is like American football - a contact sport - as they presented her with a football helmet,
jersey and "lots of good padding."
On her first day back at work after recovering from a stomach virus, a fall and a blood clot in her head, Clinton received a standing ovation from about 75 people when she strode into the department staff meeting wearing a brilliant pink jacket, her spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, said.
Nuland said Clinton loved the gifts. Clinton suffered a concussion when she fell and struck her head last month while at home recovering from a stomach virus.
Nuland said the jersey bore her name and the number 112 to symbolize the number of countries that she's visited as secretary of state.
Clinton thanked staff members for the gifts, "but then, being Hillary Clinton, she wanted to get right to business," Nuland said, adding that judging by her workload, she seemed to be fully recovered.
When reporters asked whether Clinton put on the helmet, Nuland said she didn't, possibly because her hair "looked fabulous."
"I'm not sure I would have challenged my hair with the helmet either," Nuland quipped.
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him