U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's staff reminded her Monday that Washington is like American football - a contact sport - as they presented her with a football helmet,
jersey and "lots of good padding."
On her first day back at work after recovering from a stomach virus, a fall and a blood clot in her head, Clinton received a standing ovation from about 75 people when she strode into the department staff meeting wearing a brilliant pink jacket, her spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, said.
Nuland said Clinton loved the gifts. Clinton suffered a concussion when she fell and struck her head last month while at home recovering from a stomach virus.
Nuland said the jersey bore her name and the number 112 to symbolize the number of countries that she's visited as secretary of state.
Clinton thanked staff members for the gifts, "but then, being Hillary Clinton, she wanted to get right to business," Nuland said, adding that judging by her workload, she seemed to be fully recovered.
When reporters asked whether Clinton put on the helmet, Nuland said she didn't, possibly because her hair "looked fabulous."
"I'm not sure I would have challenged my hair with the helmet either," Nuland quipped.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women