U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's staff reminded her Monday that Washington is like American football - a contact sport - as they presented her with a football helmet,
jersey and "lots of good padding."
On her first day back at work after recovering from a stomach virus, a fall and a blood clot in her head, Clinton received a standing ovation from about 75 people when she strode into the department staff meeting wearing a brilliant pink jacket, her spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, said.
Nuland said Clinton loved the gifts. Clinton suffered a concussion when she fell and struck her head last month while at home recovering from a stomach virus.
Nuland said the jersey bore her name and the number 112 to symbolize the number of countries that she's visited as secretary of state.
Clinton thanked staff members for the gifts, "but then, being Hillary Clinton, she wanted to get right to business," Nuland said, adding that judging by her workload, she seemed to be fully recovered.
When reporters asked whether Clinton put on the helmet, Nuland said she didn't, possibly because her hair "looked fabulous."
"I'm not sure I would have challenged my hair with the helmet either," Nuland quipped.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict