It's stock may no longer be on a relentless
rocket trajectory, but among consumers Apple remains as popular as
The maker of the iPhone and iPad said Monday that its App Store had now passed the milestone of 40 billion apps downloaded, including 20 billion in 2012 alone. The downloading frenzy reached its peak in December, a month in which 2 billion apps were downloaded from Apple's servers.
The company said that the App Store has more than 500 million active users who can choose from some 775,000 apps available for iOS devices.
App developers have made sales worth over 7 billion dollars through the store, according to Apple senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Asia Seeks Obama's Assurance Over Spats
- Coachella's Young Audience a Marketers Paradise
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- National Energy Boom Blurs Political Battle Lines
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs