Russian President Vladimir Putin
offered Russian citizenship to famous French actor Gerard Depardieu,
France's channel BFMTV reported Thursday.
"Vladimir Putin has signed a decree granting Russian citizenship to France's Gerard Depardieu, " said a statement from the Kremlin quoted by AFP.
The news was widely reported by local media which have eyed closely the choice of Depardieu who has been seeking a tax exile by moving to settle down in another country.
The movie star has earlier threatened to abandon his French citizenship by returning his passport back, in a way to protest against the upper tax rate over million-euro earners proposed by the new French Socialist government.
The policy has been under attack after being recently approved by the government and has caused some wealthy citizens, including Depardieu who was once considering to move to Belgium.
Last Saturday, the French Constitutional Council ruled out 75- percent income tax rate on earnings over 1 million euros (1.32 million U.S. dollars) per year, a key measure of President Francois Hollande's election campaign, saying it is against the equality in public charges.
However, Hollande reiterated in his New Year Eve greeting message that the French wealthy have to help more in restoring public finances. He also urged the prime minister to redraft new proposals on tax.
Via high taxes on the rich, he wants to cut the public gap by 1.5 point percentage to 3 percent of GDP in 2013 by collecting billion of euros.
(c) 2013 Xinhua News Agency - CEIS. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter