Actor Patrick Dempsey, star of the television series Grey's Anatomy, has won a bid to buy a bankrupt chain of U.S. coffee shops, he announced on Twitter Friday.
Dempsey, 46, will pay $9.15 million for Tully's Coffee, a chain of 47 cafes based in Seattle, beating out six other bidders, including coffee giant Starbucks.
"We met the green monster, looked her in the eye, and ... SHE BLINKED!," Dempsey tweeted, referring to Starbucks. "We got it! Thank you Seattle!"
Tully's parent company TC Global filed for bankruptcy in October and has around 500 employees. A bankcruptcy court still needs to approve the sale and is set to meet next week.
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- White House Intruder Got Farther Than Reported
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered
- Jeb Bush: GOP Senate Would 'Fix a Few Things'