Actor Patrick Dempsey, star of the television series Grey's Anatomy, has won a bid to buy a bankrupt chain of U.S. coffee shops, he announced on Twitter Friday.
Dempsey, 46, will pay $9.15 million for Tully's Coffee, a chain of 47 cafes based in Seattle, beating out six other bidders, including coffee giant Starbucks.
"We met the green monster, looked her in the eye, and ... SHE BLINKED!," Dempsey tweeted, referring to Starbucks. "We got it! Thank you Seattle!"
Tully's parent company TC Global filed for bankruptcy in October and has around 500 employees. A bankcruptcy court still needs to approve the sale and is set to meet next week.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Drive-In Movie Theaters Use Creativity to Afford Digital Switch
- Obama Cites Letter Writers in Pitching Economy
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer
- U.S. Immigration Courts Facing Record Backlog
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Farrell, Kitsch Rumored for Season 2 of 'True Detective'