Actor Patrick Dempsey, star of the television series Grey's Anatomy, has won a bid to buy a bankrupt chain of U.S. coffee shops, he announced on Twitter Friday.
Dempsey, 46, will pay $9.15 million for Tully's Coffee, a chain of 47 cafes based in Seattle, beating out six other bidders, including coffee giant Starbucks.
"We met the green monster, looked her in the eye, and ... SHE BLINKED!," Dempsey tweeted, referring to Starbucks. "We got it! Thank you Seattle!"
Tully's parent company TC Global filed for bankruptcy in October and has around 500 employees. A bankcruptcy court still needs to approve the sale and is set to meet next week.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response