Palestinian Islamic Jihad-affiliated news site Filastin al-Yawm
at 0616 gmt on 4 January quotes "security sources in Al-Arish" as
saying that the Egyptian authorities in Sinai at dawn seized a
stockpile of upgraded and US-made anti-tank and anti-aircraft
rockets meant to be smuggled through the tunnels into the Gaza
According to the source, the Egyptian Interior Ministry was tipped off on the location of a cache of rockets in a desert area south of Al-Arish known as Bi'r Lahfan and on a plan to smuggle them into Gaza. The source added that upon receiving this information, the Egyptian police set up a special force led by Maj-Gen Ahmad Hilmi and Maj-Gen Sayyid Shafiq.
The sources further pointed out that the Egyptian security forces tracked down six US-made rockets stashed in a deep ditch, noting that the rockets are believed to have been smuggled into Egyptian territory from Libya.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women