Palestinian Islamic Jihad-affiliated news site Filastin al-Yawm
at 0616 gmt on 4 January quotes "security sources in Al-Arish" as
saying that the Egyptian authorities in Sinai at dawn seized a
stockpile of upgraded and US-made anti-tank and anti-aircraft
rockets meant to be smuggled through the tunnels into the Gaza
According to the source, the Egyptian Interior Ministry was tipped off on the location of a cache of rockets in a desert area south of Al-Arish known as Bi'r Lahfan and on a plan to smuggle them into Gaza. The source added that upon receiving this information, the Egyptian police set up a special force led by Maj-Gen Ahmad Hilmi and Maj-Gen Sayyid Shafiq.
The sources further pointed out that the Egyptian security forces tracked down six US-made rockets stashed in a deep ditch, noting that the rockets are believed to have been smuggled into Egyptian territory from Libya.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks