Politics and controversy aside, it is clear guns occupy a deep and generally accepted role in the social fabric of the United States.
The number of guns in the U.S. has increased by more than 60 percent since 1994. Latest figures show there are 310 million guns in this country of 307 million people. That's more than one gun per person.
But that doesn't mean most people have guns. More than half of all households say they do not own guns. Most households with weapons own multiple guns.
Face the Facts USA delivers provocative facts about big issues to help Americans debunk myths, hold better conversations, get involved, and make choices as smarter citizens. For more information, visit facethefactsusa.org.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Petit Retires 46 Batters in a Row, MLB Record
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers
- Garcia Takes a Long Shot at McCarthy