Politics and controversy aside, it is clear guns occupy a deep and generally accepted role in the social fabric of the United States.
The number of guns in the U.S. has increased by more than 60 percent since 1994. Latest figures show there are 310 million guns in this country of 307 million people. That's more than one gun per person.
But that doesn't mean most people have guns. More than half of all households say they do not own guns. Most households with weapons own multiple guns.
Face the Facts USA delivers provocative facts about big issues to help Americans debunk myths, hold better conversations, get involved, and make choices as smarter citizens. For more information, visit facethefactsusa.org.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction