TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/30/13 -- Save the Children welcomes the news of an additional $25 million commitment by the Government of Canada to provide aid for the over 700,000 refugees fleeing conflict in Syria. The announcement was made today by the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation, at the high-level International Humanitarian Pledging Conference for Syria.
Patricia Erb, President & CEO Save the Children:
"This week I'm in Lebanon, visiting children and families in Beddawi refugee camp," said Patricia Erb, President and CEO, Save the Children. "I have seen firsthand the urgent need of those fleeing conflict in Syria. Despite the best efforts of aid workers, camps are reaching a breaking point.
"We thank the Government of Canada, and Minister Fantino, for the announcement of additional funding for Syrian refugees. Save the Children has already reached almost 130,000 people in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq and inside Syria, and we are committed to continuing to deliver crucial humanitarian assistance to reach even more children and families with the aid they so urgently require."
Interviews with Patricia Erb are available from Lebanon, or upon her return. Please call: 1-800-668-5036 x222 or off hours at (647) 273-7134.
Photography is available to download here: http://storycentral.savethechildren.org.uk/?c=15980&k=125af35741.
About Save the Children
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children, delivering programmes and improving children's lives in more than 120 countries worldwide. Working toward a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation, Save the Children's mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Learn more at www.savethechildren.ca and www.facebook.com/savethechildren.ca.
Save the Children
Toll Free: 1-800-668-5036 x222
(416) 221-5501 x222 / Cell: (647) 273-7134
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief