VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/30/13 -- Premier Darrell Pasloski and Alaska Governor Sean Parnell met to discuss projects that could enhance Yukon's long-term energy and telecommunications security.
The two leaders met in Vancouver today to discuss the feasibility of connecting the Alaska and Yukon energy and communications infrastructure.
"With one of the fastest growing economies in the country, Yukon needs to take steps to ensure that reliable power and telecommunications continue to be available to the territory's residents and businesses," Pasloski said. "I look forward to future discussions with Alaska on these and other important issues such as the continuation of funding for the Shakwak Highway Project."
This meeting between Pasloski and Parnell follows the renewal last summer of the Alaska-Yukon Intergovernmental Relations Accord, a framework for cooperative work on both sides of the border.
"I was pleased to renew the Alaska Yukon Intergovernmental Accord in 2012," Parnell said. "Today's meeting builds on Alaska's longstanding relationship with our closest neighbour. I appreciate the fruitful discussion with Premier Pasloski. We will continue to work together on areas of mutual importance including infrastructure, workforce training and natural resource projects that will benefit Alaskans and the region as a whole."
Communications, Executive Council Office
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women