Facebook posted a 40-percent rise in fourth-quarter earnings Wednesday as the social networking giant brought in $1.585 billion.
But earnings plummeted to 64 million dollars in the quarter, compared to $302 million a year earlier, triggering a 5-per-cent slide in Facebook's shares in after-hours trading.
Facebook said it had 1.06 billion active monthly users during the quarter and 618 million daily active users.
Facebook said costs rose 82 per cent to $1.06 billion as it spent heavily to boost its mobile offerings.
"In 2012, we connected over a billion people and became a mobile company," said Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder and chief executive. "We enter 2013 with good momentum and will continue to invest to achieve our mission and become a stronger, more valuable company."
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'