UnitedHealthcare, a company that says it works to simplify people's care experience, is hosting a global contest to solicit solutions that address chronic conditions. The winner of the contest will receive $60,000.
"The Breakthrough Health Tech Challenge" will award recipients who find a way to address conditions like obesity, propose a strategy for prevention or enhance the health system.
A statement from Unitedhealthcare said the company is seeking ideas on how consumer technologies, like iPads, smartphones and video games, can be used in new ways to help those who have a chronic disease such as diabetes and heart disease.
Applications are being accepted from around the world, online at the company's website at www.ceshealth.com. Submissions are being accepted through April 8.
"We believe this groundbreaking challenge will inspire new ideas and concepts that could serve as breakthrough solutions to improving people's health and the health care system," said Gail Boudreaux, CEO of UnitedHealthcare company. "By engaging people from around the globe, we will be able to identify new thinking that focuses on solutions that promote health, prevent disease and improve medical care."
The contest, according to UnitedHealthcare, is the latest project in the company's effort to employ innovative ideas. Their past projects include:
--myHealthcare cost estimator, a program that allows consumers to compare the costs of different treatment options, facilities and physicians.
--Health4Me, a mobile help that helps patients find doctors in their home network
--UnitedHealthcare Community Rewards, a program that rewards children for healthy behaviors like going to their checkups and brushing their teeth. They are able to redeem their points to get a new toy, and even a bicycle or a camera.
UnitedHealthcare has a large operations office in the Town of Tonawanda, and has recently added 125 jobs to their location in Colvin Woods Business Park.
The company now employs 700 people locally.
(c)2013 Tonawanda News (North Tonawanda, N.Y.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women