UnitedHealthcare, a company that says it works to simplify people's care experience, is hosting a global contest to solicit solutions that address chronic conditions. The winner of the contest will receive $60,000.
"The Breakthrough Health Tech Challenge" will award recipients who find a way to address conditions like obesity, propose a strategy for prevention or enhance the health system.
A statement from Unitedhealthcare said the company is seeking ideas on how consumer technologies, like iPads, smartphones and video games, can be used in new ways to help those who have a chronic disease such as diabetes and heart disease.
Applications are being accepted from around the world, online at the company's website at www.ceshealth.com. Submissions are being accepted through April 8.
"We believe this groundbreaking challenge will inspire new ideas and concepts that could serve as breakthrough solutions to improving people's health and the health care system," said Gail Boudreaux, CEO of UnitedHealthcare company. "By engaging people from around the globe, we will be able to identify new thinking that focuses on solutions that promote health, prevent disease and improve medical care."
The contest, according to UnitedHealthcare, is the latest project in the company's effort to employ innovative ideas. Their past projects include:
--myHealthcare cost estimator, a program that allows consumers to compare the costs of different treatment options, facilities and physicians.
--Health4Me, a mobile help that helps patients find doctors in their home network
--UnitedHealthcare Community Rewards, a program that rewards children for healthy behaviors like going to their checkups and brushing their teeth. They are able to redeem their points to get a new toy, and even a bicycle or a camera.
UnitedHealthcare has a large operations office in the Town of Tonawanda, and has recently added 125 jobs to their location in Colvin Woods Business Park.
The company now employs 700 people locally.
(c)2013 Tonawanda News (North Tonawanda, N.Y.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- President Obama Touts Overhaul of Overtime Rules