Frank Ocean told police Chris Brown punched him during a group argument over a parking spot outside a Los Angeles-area recording studio, TMZ reported.
Six people, including the two recording artists, were involved in the fight Sunday night at Westlake Studio.
Police were called to the scene to break it up, but no arrests have been made.
When they arrived, investigators spoke to Ocean, but Brown was already gone, TMZ said.
The celebrity news website cited unnamed sources close to Brown as saying Ocean and his entourage started the argument by blocking Brown's car when he was trying to leave.
The witnesses said one of Ocean's friends attacked Brown when he attempted to shake the hand of his fellow singer, then one of Brown's companions hit Ocean's friend in retaliation. Ocean then attacked Brown and a brawl erupted, TMZ said.
Brown pleaded guilty to assaulting and threatening his then-girlfriend Rihanna during a heated argument in a car in 2009. He was placed on five years probation and ordered to complete community service. He and Rihanna recently reconciled.
Last year, he and Canadian singer Drake had an altercation at a New York nightclub, which left eight people injured. No arrests were made.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia