Frank Ocean told police Chris Brown punched him during a group argument over a parking spot outside a Los Angeles-area recording studio, TMZ reported.
Six people, including the two recording artists, were involved in the fight Sunday night at Westlake Studio.
Police were called to the scene to break it up, but no arrests have been made.
When they arrived, investigators spoke to Ocean, but Brown was already gone, TMZ said.
The celebrity news website cited unnamed sources close to Brown as saying Ocean and his entourage started the argument by blocking Brown's car when he was trying to leave.
The witnesses said one of Ocean's friends attacked Brown when he attempted to shake the hand of his fellow singer, then one of Brown's companions hit Ocean's friend in retaliation. Ocean then attacked Brown and a brawl erupted, TMZ said.
Brown pleaded guilty to assaulting and threatening his then-girlfriend Rihanna during a heated argument in a car in 2009. He was placed on five years probation and ordered to complete community service. He and Rihanna recently reconciled.
Last year, he and Canadian singer Drake had an altercation at a New York nightclub, which left eight people injured. No arrests were made.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Spending Will Offset Sequester: Economists
- Hispanic Grads Pass Their Peers in College Enrollment
- AT&T Seeks to Fill 120 Jobs in South Carolina
- Gas Prices Expected to Stay High
- California Considers Oil Tax to Fund Schools
- Dude! California Beach Parking Plan Making Waves
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Program Turns 35
- Yahoo to Pay $1.1 Billion for Tumblr
- Boise Terror Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
- NTSB Wants to Lower Blood Alcohol Limit to 0.05