Initial claimants for unemployment compensation in Florida fell 25 percent, to 4,655 in December from 6,239 a year ago, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
One reason is that mass layoffs, which are those of 50 or more employees, also fell in December: to 61 from 70 a year ago.
Nationwide, employers took 1,509 mass layoff actions involving 137,839 workers during December.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays