Initial claimants for unemployment compensation in Florida fell 25 percent, to 4,655 in December from 6,239 a year ago, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
One reason is that mass layoffs, which are those of 50 or more employees, also fell in December: to 61 from 70 a year ago.
Nationwide, employers took 1,509 mass layoff actions involving 137,839 workers during December.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- Rand Paul Signs up for Obamacare
- Thalia Gets Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- World Cup Draws: Coaches, Players Offer Insights
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- Texas Chiller Moves East
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise