Initial claimants for unemployment compensation in Florida fell 25 percent, to 4,655 in December from 6,239 a year ago, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
One reason is that mass layoffs, which are those of 50 or more employees, also fell in December: to 61 from 70 a year ago.
Nationwide, employers took 1,509 mass layoff actions involving 137,839 workers during December.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women