Initial claimants for unemployment compensation in Florida fell 25 percent, to 4,655 in December from 6,239 a year ago, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
One reason is that mass layoffs, which are those of 50 or more employees, also fell in December: to 61 from 70 a year ago.
Nationwide, employers took 1,509 mass layoff actions involving 137,839 workers during December.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- House Votes to Make Bonus Depreciation Permanent
- Liverpool Sells Luis Suarez to Barcelona