Vienna/Zurich (dpa) - Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Tina Turner, 73,
is applying for Swiss citizenship nearly two decades after she took
up residence there, an official told dpa on Friday.
"In Switzerland, this is a somewhat long process through three different levels," Verena Spitzer, the official handling her application at the local level, said.
The eight-time Grammy Award winner, who at age 70 stormed the world with a concert tour, has lived in or near Zurich since the mid 1990s with her German partner, music manager Erwin Bach. The coupleefirst lived in Zurich, then moved to Kuesnacht on Lake Zurich,
outside of the city.
Spitzer said the rock star has already obtained so-called "community" or local citizenship where she lives. The next approvals must come from the province, or canton, and then from the national, or federal, level.
Spitzer said she did not see any problems in the application. She had already conducted a very positive interview with the singer, and indicated the rest of the process could take another six months.
After living in Switzerland for 20 years, the singer feels connected to the country, Turner's communication director said. After her 2009 tour, Turner returned to retirement and values the privacy afforded life in Switzerland, the spokesperson said.
If Turner obtains Swiss citizenship, Swiss law will not require her to give up her American citizenship.
The rock legend, famous for her athletic strength on stage and her smoky voice, has sold 200 million records. Titles like "Simply the Best" and "Private Dancer" have become rock classics.
Born November 26, 1939 as Anna Mae Bullock, Turner began her career with then-husband Ike Turner, at whose hands she has said she suffered abuse. After leaving him and going solo, she rose to world fame.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women