LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 01/25/13 -- Nintendo President Satoru Iwata unleashed Wii U news in an instalment of Nintendo Direct today as he outlined Nintendo's future plans for the console. Iwata revealed how the Wii U launch line-up will be bolstered by a long list of top game franchises headed for the new console. These are games that long-time players and newcomers alike will love to play, and everyone will be experiencing them in new ways, thanks to the integrated second-screen experiences enabled by the Wii U GamePad controller.
Iwata also detailed a number of enhancements designed to make the Wii U game experience more social, even if people are not playing in the same room. "The fun of video games is not only just playing games, but also sharing experiences together with people - even though they live far away, their skill levels are different or their experience does not happen at the same time," Iwata said. "We want Wii U to be the system that brings everyone together."
To view the Nintendo Direct in its entirety, visit http://nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect.
The many announcements included:
- Two Zelda Games: Eiji Aonuma, the producer of The Legend of Zelda series, revealed two entries in the series for Wii U.
- Super Mario is on His Way: The Nintendo EAD Tokyo Software Development team that created Super Mario games such as Super Mario Galaxy for Wii and Super Mario 3D Land for Nintendo 3DS is working on a new 3D Mario action game for Wii U. The game is scheduled to be playable at this year's E3.
- Racing Ahead!: Nintendo is also working on a new instalment of the hit Mario Kart franchise. This game is also planned to be playable at E3.
- Yarn Yoshi: The team that created Kirby's Epic Yarn is hard at work on the first console game to feature Yoshi as the main character since 1998's Yoshi's Story for Nintendo 64. Takashi Tezuka, director of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story, is supervising the development of the new game, which is set in a fanciful world of yarn and textiles.
- Wii Fit U Communities: New features coming to Wii Fit U include letting players create user communities on Miiverse from within the game. Community members can discuss exercises, BMI or weight changes and other health topics with other players as a way to encourage one another to reach their fitness goals. Similar functionality for other games is also planned.
- Pikmin 3 Photos: The upcoming Pikmin 3 game includes a feature that lets players use the Wii U GamePad as a camera to share the same perspective as Pikmin and take close-up pictures of landscapes and creatures in the game and share them in Miiverse.
- The Party Continues: A new instalment in the Wii Party franchise is planned to launch this summer. The game features various play styles, including one that lets both players compete head-to-head using just the GamePad.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Cheap Gas Drives Down U.S. Wholesale Prices Again
- Bitcoin or Bad Coin? Warnings Mount Against Virtual Currency
- Expanding Medicaid Creates Jobs: Study
- Producer Price Index Dropped in November
- Robert Levinson Was on CIA Mission
- Beyonce Releases New Album With No Marketing
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- 'Dreamers' Hope for Permanent Immigration Status