SANTIAGO, CHILE -- (Marketwire) -- 01/25/13 -- Swingplane Ventures, Inc. (OTCBB: SWVI) (the "Company") is pleased to update information on the History of the Algarrobo property.
Swingplane Venture Inc.'s (the "Company") Algarrobo Property (the "Property") is an Iron Oxide-Copper-Gold (IOCG) property located approximately 850 km north of Santiago, in the III Region, Province of Chanaral, Chile. The city of Copiapo is located approximately 43 km to the southeast of the Property, with the small port city of Caldera 25 km to the east. The Property consists of 32 tenures, comprising a total of 6,161 ha (15,224 acres).
The following anecdotal history for the Property and immediately adjacent area has been modified slightly from Stromberger (2012). The following anecdotal history of the Property and immediate area was compiled by the Property Vendor. The historical information has not been verified.
A copy of his non NI 43-101 compliant report is available at:
"Copper from limited surface exposures on, and immediately adjacent to, the Algarrobo Property was first mined in the late 1700s. Since that time, approximately 35 mines have been excavated on 4 primary and approximately 10 secondary veins. It has been estimated that the historical British operator produced copper ore having a cut-off grade of +/- 6% Cu.
Major copper mines around the world generally average less than 1% copper, a prime example is Freeport McMoRan's Grasberg mine which has approximately 2.5 billion tonnes of copper grading at 1.1%.
The Algarrobo copper deposit was discovered in 1808, with large scale industrial mining operations initiated in 1868 and active for approximately 25 years. In 1890, a report on the Algarrobo mines by Francisco San Roman led to an evaluation of the feasibility of constructing a railroad line from Caldera to facilitate transport of copper ore at lower transportation costs. The railroad was also expected to permit more efficient exploitation of the mineral reserves, given that the cut-off grade for the Algarrobo copper ore was 12% Cu at that time. Ore quality and reserves at that time were deemed to be of sufficient grade and tonnage for the British operator of the mines to undertake construction of a 20 km railroad from the port of Caldera to Algarrobo. "High grade ore", thought to comprise ore greater than 15% Cu was shipped directly to England, while "low grade ore", ore grading less than 15% Cu, was processed at a local smelter in Caldera prior to shipment to England. (Note: "Ore" is used in the context of the reference cited and may not be NI 43-101 compliant).
The railroad operated into the 1940s, with a cable car system used to transport ore from mining operations at an elevation of approximately 1100 m to the railhead at approximately 650 m. In the mid-1900s, a road was also built from Caldera, allowing re-processing of ore waste on several occasions. The mine dumps left by the British operator provide some clues regarding the grade of ore extracted from the historical operations. Over approximately 20 years, between 1960 and 1980, the waste dumps have been reprocessed three times by local miners. ENAMI, the state controlled Chilean mining company, constructed the 35 km road to the area for this purpose. Available records document that the grade of material initially processed graded between 6 - 8% Cu, dropping to a grade between 4 - 6% Cu during the second phase of processing and 3-4% from the third phase. The material remaining is estimated to grade between 1.5 - 2% Cu. The railway is still on the property today.
Most Popular Stories
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Latin Music Conference Turns 25
- U.S. Growth Stayed Steady During Shutdown, Fed Says
- Newtown Massacre Heard on 911 Recordings
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Guardian Pressured to Stop NSA Stories: Editor
- New Home Sales Shoot up 25 Percent in October
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged