A 49-year-old man wanted in connection with a 2006 homicide in Juarez has been arrested in El Paso, officials with the U.S. Marshals Service said.
U.S. marshals arrested Victor De La Torre-Rodriguez about 8 a.m. Thursday in South-Central El Paso on a provisional arrest warrant from Mexico. He is accused of shooting and killing Miguel Angel Lorenzo Martinez on Aug. 26, 2006, in Juarez.
Further details about the slaying were not immediately available Thursday.
Officials said that since 2011, U.S. marshals in the Western District of Texas have been working with federal prosecutors in Mexico on the case to track down De La Torre-Rodriguez, who had been living in the U.S. as a legal permanent resident.
U.S. Marshals Service Deputy Juan Blanco said De La Torre-Rodriguez was arrested at his home in the 5600 block of Rosa Avenue. His wife and a family member were also in the home at the time, Blanco said.
De La Torre-Rodriguez, who is being held without bond in the El Paso County Jail under custody of the U.S. Marshals Service, is scheduled to attend an initial hearing this afternoon before U.S. Magistrate Judge Anne Berton.
Officials said he will remain in custody in the U.S. until a federal judge decides whether he should be returned to Mexico. Officials said the process generally takes six months to a year.
"Many people don't realize that fugitives wanted in Mexico often attempt to avoid the Mexican judicial system by
hiding in the United States. I want those individuals to know that the United States will not be a safe haven for them," Robert Almonte, the U.S. marshal for the Western District of Texas, said in a statement.
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack