Here are some take-aways from Apple's (AAPL) much-anticipated earnings reports
for the holiday season:
Record sales, but just barely: Apple earned $13.81 a share on $54.5 billion in revenue, while analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected $13.47 a share on $54.7 billion.
Dodged a bullet: After falling short of analysts' estimates the past two quarters, Apple reported profit of $13.1 billion, just a tad higher than the $13.06 billion a year earlier.
IPhone is key to Apple's fortunes: It sold a record 47.8 million iPhones in the quarter, compared to 37 million in the year-ago quarter, but analysts were looking for sales closer to 50 million.
Cash is king: Apple's now sitting on $137.1 billion, up from $121 billion a year ago, and it declared a per-share cash dividend of $2.65 to spread some of it around.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Navarro Celebrates 2 Years of Vida Mia
- Federal Gov't Deficit Continues to Decline
- Ukraine Loan Delayed While Congress Goes on Vacation
- Herbalife Puts Off Meeting for Icahn Talks
- Ukraine Moves Closer to Joining E.U.
- Venezuela Death Toll Reaches 28
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Russia Holds Large Military Drills in South