The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee unanimously sent a bill to legalize same-sex marriage to the floor of the state's House of Representatives.
No committee previously had been able to send similar legislation this far, The Providence Journal reported Tuesday.
The state's marriage code now reads, "Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people."
The newspaper said state Rep. Arthur Handy's bill may be voted on by the full House as early as Thursday.
Supporters of the bill crowded into the committee room prior to Tuesday's vote, the newspaper said.
Most Popular Stories
- Cape Cod Building Mussel Industry
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Sears Denies Store Closings, Layoffs Report
- Microsoft Beats Income Expectations
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low