The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee unanimously sent a bill to legalize same-sex marriage to the floor of the state's House of Representatives.
No committee previously had been able to send similar legislation this far, The Providence Journal reported Tuesday.
The state's marriage code now reads, "Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people."
The newspaper said state Rep. Arthur Handy's bill may be voted on by the full House as early as Thursday.
Supporters of the bill crowded into the committee room prior to Tuesday's vote, the newspaper said.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- Asia Seeks Obama's Assurance Over Spats
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Coachella's Young Audience a Marketers Paradise
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- National Energy Boom Blurs Political Battle Lines
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved