The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee unanimously sent a bill to legalize same-sex marriage to the floor of the state's House of Representatives.
No committee previously had been able to send similar legislation this far, The Providence Journal reported Tuesday.
The state's marriage code now reads, "Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people."
The newspaper said state Rep. Arthur Handy's bill may be voted on by the full House as early as Thursday.
Supporters of the bill crowded into the committee room prior to Tuesday's vote, the newspaper said.
Most Popular Stories
- Facebook, Twitter Announce Apps for Google Glass
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Exciting Night for UFC Fans
- Teen Drivers Should Be Prepared for Any Car-Related Situation
- Summer Movies Aimed at Young Men, Teen Boys
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked