The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee unanimously sent a bill to legalize same-sex marriage to the floor of the state's House of Representatives.
No committee previously had been able to send similar legislation this far, The Providence Journal reported Tuesday.
The state's marriage code now reads, "Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people."
The newspaper said state Rep. Arthur Handy's bill may be voted on by the full House as early as Thursday.
Supporters of the bill crowded into the committee room prior to Tuesday's vote, the newspaper said.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say