The Rhode Island House Judiciary Committee unanimously sent a bill to legalize same-sex marriage to the floor of the state's House of Representatives.
No committee previously had been able to send similar legislation this far, The Providence Journal reported Tuesday.
The state's marriage code now reads, "Marriage is the legally recognized union of two people."
The newspaper said state Rep. Arthur Handy's bill may be voted on by the full House as early as Thursday.
Supporters of the bill crowded into the committee room prior to Tuesday's vote, the newspaper said.
Most Popular Stories
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Ulta Shares Look Good on Strong Q4
- Jittery Investors Dumping Russian Stocks
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- FDIC Accuses Big Banks of Fraud, Conspiracy
- Stocks Close Lower Ahead of Crimea Vote
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March