House Speaker John Boehner has accused U.S. President Barack Obama of planning to "annihilate" the Republican Party in his second term.
Speaking to a gathering of the Republican-oriented Ripon Society Tuesday, Boehner, R-Ohio, reacted to Obama's second inaugural speech, Politico reported.
"Given what we heard [Monday] about the President's vision for his second term, it's pretty clear to me that he knows he can't do any of that as long as the House is controlled by Republicans," Boehner said this week. "So we're expecting over the next 22 months to be the focus of this administration as they attempt to annihilate the Republican Party."
The speaker said the next 20 months will be a difficult period for the GOP.
"While we want to stand up and fight for more fiscal responsibility, want to stand up and find a way to move tax reform that will help our economy grow, to do the things we believe in, we're going to be doing it in an environment that is going to be far more hostile than anything that I think we've seen for a long, long time," he said.
Speaking at a House GOP retreat last week, Boehner warned the next 90 days will include fiscal fights. He said a more long-term vision is needed.
"We've got a lot of big decisions to make," he said. "And while a lot of the retreat unfortunately got focused on the next 90 days, there needs to be further work to talk about how we're going to navigate the next 20 months and what our goals are and how do we defend ourselves in what I do believe is going to be a very hostile environment. All I know is I'm up for the fight."
Most Popular Stories
- Facebook, Twitter Announce Apps for Google Glass
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- RFD-TV launches on Charter Cable
- Exciting Night for UFC Fans
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Teen Drivers Should Be Prepared for Any Car-Related Situation
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!