House Speaker John Boehner has accused U.S. President Barack Obama of planning to "annihilate" the Republican Party in his second term.
Speaking to a gathering of the Republican-oriented Ripon Society Tuesday, Boehner, R-Ohio, reacted to Obama's second inaugural speech, Politico reported.
"Given what we heard [Monday] about the President's vision for his second term, it's pretty clear to me that he knows he can't do any of that as long as the House is controlled by Republicans," Boehner said this week. "So we're expecting over the next 22 months to be the focus of this administration as they attempt to annihilate the Republican Party."
The speaker said the next 20 months will be a difficult period for the GOP.
"While we want to stand up and fight for more fiscal responsibility, want to stand up and find a way to move tax reform that will help our economy grow, to do the things we believe in, we're going to be doing it in an environment that is going to be far more hostile than anything that I think we've seen for a long, long time," he said.
Speaking at a House GOP retreat last week, Boehner warned the next 90 days will include fiscal fights. He said a more long-term vision is needed.
"We've got a lot of big decisions to make," he said. "And while a lot of the retreat unfortunately got focused on the next 90 days, there needs to be further work to talk about how we're going to navigate the next 20 months and what our goals are and how do we defend ourselves in what I do believe is going to be a very hostile environment. All I know is I'm up for the fight."
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go
- Detroit Raced Toward this Week's Bankruptcy Trial
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted