Future NFL Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez may have played his last pro football game, but he's already chosen his next playing field: the iPad.
The FitStar: Tony Gonzalez app, due for the iPad this spring, brings the Atlanta Falcons' star into your living room as your fitness trainer. A customizable program with more than 60 exercises, FitStar lets users set their own goals and create workouts to help them achieve those goals.
"It will be a tailor-made program for you specifically," Gonzalez says. "It's like I'm there with you. We're going through this together."
Gonzalez just finished his 16th NFL season -- the last four with the Falcons after his first dozen with the Kansas City Chiefs. "Over the last five years, I guess I've developed a reputation for being healthy and fit," says Gonzalez, whose fitness level has helped him flourish in the latter years of his career. He has made the most catches of any tight end in NFL history (1,242) and is No. 2 among all receivers behind only Jerry Rice, who caught 1,549.
That reputation led San Francisco-based start-up FitStar Labs to approach Gonzalez about its mobile app plans last year.
Free to download with additional for-pay content that will cost much less than standard fitness DVDs, FitStar leads users through an initial survey that will create their personalized program.
Much of the regimen emphasizes core strength. "For me that is what athleticism and being in shape is all about," Gonzalez says. "I know what has helped me play 16 years is that I have really good balance and core."
What remains to be seen is whether Gonzalez returns to the football field. Prior to Sunday's NFC Championship game, which the Falcons lost 28-24 to the San Francisco 49ers, Gonzalez said he expected to decide after this season. "I haven't made a decision yet," he says.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Yahoo Struggles Despite Alibaba Boost
- Chevrolet's Small SUV Coming to the U.S.
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Neil Young Closes Kickstarter Campaign for PonoMusic
- Castro Named as a Caress Fabulista
- Rapper Cuts Off Own Penis, Jumps Off Building in Failed Suicide